What are you going to give up?
If you think that you can watch Game of Thrones on TV, play Clash of Clans on the iPad, read every email, take every phone call, play on Facebook, go to bed early, wake up late, and STILL become successful, you’ve got another thing coming.
In order to advance your goals, you’re going to give up some things in your life in order to make room for the new things you want to achieve.
My suggestions for freeing up time to become successful:
- Install RescueTime on your computer to track how much time you spend in Facebook, email, etc. Until I achieve my goals I chose to selectively ignore most social media plus about 50% of my email.
- Trade TV & game time for professional development time. Read two books a month.
- Find 3-4 mentors whom inspire you and follow them religiously, consuming nearly everything they produce. My mentors started with Les Brown and currently are Tim Ferriss and Seth Godin (full list). You’re the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with, and spending time in someone’s book counts (imho).
- Trade mornings or evening routines for productive time at least twice a week.
- Sleep less. Sleep enough, because it’s important, but less than you do now. Make up for it on Saturday.
- Don’t neglect your physical fitness. A lot of entrepreneurs that came before you did (including me), and you can learn from their regrets.
- Become completely ruthless about eliminating negativity, distractions, and busy work from your life.
If you’ve made the “decision” to become successful, remember that the word “decision” comes from the word “incision”, which means to cut away. So in order to decide to be successful, you’ll have to cut away some of the things in your life that have thus far kept you from having already achieved it.